A Roadmap: 21 Steps on the Hero’s Journey
Book Bonus for The Gifted Highly Sensitive Introvert
A quick witty overview of the Hero’s Journey to the Authentic Self
1. You get a body. You might remember where you came from, but you will probably soon forget.
2. Your caregivers and society do their best to persuade you to become socially acceptable.
3. You get wounded when your emotional or physical needs aren’t met. This place ain’t like Heaven anymore.
4. A part of you leaves because it’s too painful to stay fully present. You’re only half here. You survive the best way you can. You form an Adapted Self.
5. You try your best to make your way in the world, attempting to get your needs met.
6. But since you’re only half here, even if you do get your needs met, it’s not satisfying for long.
7. You seek pleasure and avoid pain. Sex, drugs, rock ‘n roll, booze, bracelets, food. As long as you work hard and stay busy, you can avoid the hidden pain inside.
8. Some part of you is in touch with your Spirit where you feel whole, but another part of you doesn’t feel whole at all. There’s a hole in your soul.
9. You question: Who am I? Where am I? Why am I here? Why would I want to be here? Am I here? How do I know? Who am I really?
10. You find a teacher, a counselor, a life coach, a guide, a book or a seminar. Your teacher has blazed a trail through the forest before you.
11. You see guideposts on the Hero’s Journey to the Authentic Self.
12. You wish you could see the whole picture, but you can’t. All you can see is the signpost right in front of you.
13. You wonder which way to go.
14. You pick a sign and take that leg of the journey.
15. Then you come to another signpost and take that one.
16. Your teacher helps you discern if you are on the right path, or if you are simply wandering around in circles in the woods.
17. You develop the courage to face your fears and feel your emotions. You learn to stay present with yourself no matter what, even if you cry in a public place.
18. Unconditional love begins to replace self-judgment.
19. As you heal, you forgive those who hurt you or let you down.
20. You forgive yourself for living in the illusion that you were not whole in the first place.
21. You excavate your Authentic Self. Your spirit develops a sweet relationship with the Holy Spirit. You feel whole. You love yourself, flaws and all.
This book is a road map of my Hero’s Journey to the Authentic Self. My examples will help you see how far you’ve come … how far you have yet to go … and how to get from here to there.
If you would like to receive “My Top 10 Tips for Sensitive Introverts” and monthly inspirational articles about the Hero’s Journey to the Authentic Self to help you thrive, not just survive … click here.
Are you a Highly Sensitive Introvert? take the quiz.
Author: Benita A. Esposito is a Licensed Professional Counselor in Georgia, and she also provides her services worldwide as a life coach and an ordained spiritual counselor via videoconferences. She earned a master’s degree in clinical psychology from Illinois State University in 1976. She sees adults—individuals and couple—in private sessions and in intensive retreats. Being a results-oriented person, she loves retreats the best because so much transformation occurs in such a short time.
Complete the contact form to request a complimentary 10-minute get-acquainted phone chat to see if her services are a good fit for you.
Copyright 2018. Flourishing Love Press, LLC. All rights reserved.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!